History of the Shrieking Shack
By Pandora Phelps
The so called Shrieking Shack in Hogsmede was built in 1856 by the wizarding family, the Van Hoffs. The Van Hoffs were a fairly wealthy family that produced magical watering cans. These watering cans were quite helpful for the busy witch at home trying to raise a family and a garden. Unfortunately, the watering can was outlawed in 1902 by the Muggle Protection Act. A muggle woman spent quite a stint in a Sanitarium after the stress of the water can moving on its own. Her family was convinced that she suffered from exhaustion.
The Van Hoffs suffered financially after the watering can fiasco. They had to leave their home in Hogsmede to live with a wealthily elderly aunt. The house was not occupied after the family's relocation. The mansion fell into disrepair and haunting suspicions began to circle due to horrifying sounds emitting from it at night.
It is discovered that a passage was links the Shrieking Shack and Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This passage way was created when student Remus Lupin was invited to attend Hogwarts. Remus Lupin was bitten by Fenir Greyback, a demented werewolf, as a child. To protect the other students, Albus Dumbledore placed Lupin in the Shrieking Shack each month at the full moon and to further protect students a aggressive breed of willow was planted, know as the Womping Willow.
The Shrieking Shack also harbored other persons. Sirius Black escaped from Azakaban and took refuge in the house. Tom Riddle used it as a war headquarters during the War at Hogwarts.
Today, the Shrieking Shack still stands and is an attraction for Hogwarts students at Hogsmede visits. Although, it is quiet, stories circulate to scare the first years.